Last weekend we witnessed a spectacular 9-goal Manchester derby. Of course at the centre of it all was Erling Haaland: a hat-trick and 2 assists. As reported by the BBC Sport former Chelsea striker Chris Sutton simply said “he is a freak”. Even his own coach Pep Guardiola is impressed by the player. And let`s face it, it is probably very hard to impress Pep.
And the stats confirm it. Breaking record after record and surpassing Premier League legends after less than a dozen matches for Manchester City.
The BBC Sport team shared a few records which will easily be broken by the Norway forward if he keeps it up:
- Most Premier League goals in a season – held by Andy Cole and Alan Shearer at 32. Haaland is almost halfway there.
- Most Premier League goals in a debut season – held by Kevin Phillips at 30.
- Most Premier League hat-tricks – held by Sergio Aguero at 12.
- Most Premier League goals in a calendar year – held by Harry Kane at 39.
- Most goals in a season in the English top-flight football – held by Dixie Dean at 60.
All signs suggest that all of these records are within his reach and all fans are in for a spectacular season.